The MR Collection represents some of the earliest steel furniture designs by Mies van der Rohe. Four examples of the MR side table were included in the famous Tugendhat house. The design has been manufactured by Knoll since 1977.Share
The KnollStudio logo and the signature of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe are stamped into the base of the tables. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's 1927-29 MR Collection elevated industrial materials to art. This collection includes a side table of seamless tubular steel and glass in a form of pure geometry.
Top made of clear polished or frosted plate glass.
Frame and legs are tubular and rectangular steel, buffed to a mirror finish.
Top in clear or frosted glass.
Base in polished chrome only.
Museum of Modern Art Award, 1977.
Design Centre Stuttgart Award, 1978.
72.5cm D x 52cm H.
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe began his career working in his father's stonemasonry business. After an apprenticeship with furniture designer Bruno Paul in Berlin, he joined the office of architect Peter Behrens, whose work presaged the modern movement. In 1912, Mies established his own office in Berlin, and later became a member of the Deutscher Werkbund and Director of the Bauhaus.He immigrated to the United States in 1938, setting up a practice in Chicago. His buildings include the German Pavilion for the 1929 Barcelona Exposition, the Tugendhat Villa in Brno, Czechoslovakia, the Seagram Building, designed with Philip Johnson, a cluster of residential towers along Chicago's Lakeshore Drive in Chicago, and the Illinois Institute of Technology campus, where he was the director of architecture. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886 - 1969) Birthplace Germany